Cook CPA Group
With an emphasis on winery, agricultural, and small businesses, Cook CPA Group offers a variety of business services including a virtual CFO service. These services range from the traditional tax planning/projections to more niche specific assistance such as inventory costing (GAAP and tax basis) or setting up industry-specific accounting systems.
A successful tax manager will support our growth and the growth of our business clients by being a resource for complex tax questions and by devising strategies to meet business owners’ needs while also anticipating the impact of these strategies on business’ goals. Our tax manager should support our goal of being proactive by using critical knowledge to advise our clients.
The ideal candidate will need be prepared for transitions between data input into the tax software program and translating the complexities of the tax code, and the demands imposed by these frequent transitions. One of the challenges of this position is being able to adapt to each clients differing needs. For example, knowing the factors a business should consider to convert from an LLC to a C-Corporation or the tax manager may need to summarize research in memorandums to present to clients. Another challenge is answering questions about accounting software such as how to write off a bad debt expense in QuickBooks.
Several key performance objectives for this position are described below:
Establish sustainable operational excellence:
• Increase client engagement in order to reduce tax return turnaround time by 15%.
• Develop an in-house training program for our staff within 3 months that includes creating a set of common workpaper templates for tax return preparation.
• Create up to three niche focused tax and succession planning strategies within 6 months for our winery and agricultural clients.
Improve tax consulting presentations:
• Develop a template and research analysis for business clients within 2 months detailing the 15 most common tax questions. Subsequently, update, add to, and maintain this database of knowledge as new questions arise.
• Standardize (within 5 months) our exit conference presentation to review tax project deliverable so clients better understand their tax return or tax plan .
• Identify, develop and maintain a resource of other professionals such as attorneys, financial advisors, etc. who can contribute to our clients achieving their goals (implement within 6 months.)
Develop a strategic plan to insure consistent, long term profitable growth:
• Identify opportunities to build new business and anticipate opportunities to meet the changing needs of our existing clients by using tax software data mining features to identify prospects who need tax planning and by meeting with referral sources explain our services (implement within 2 months.)
• Update our business plan to include the niche specific strategies you have developed including action steps to launch these concepts within 6 months.
• Engage with our staff to become familiar with the background of our firm and clients and use their expertise to help develop the strategic plan over the next 6 months.
Please email us your cover letter and resume with “Tax Manager” in the subject box.
Cook CPA Group offers a variety of services to business and individuals focusing on winery, agricultural and small business niches as well as offering virtual CFO services. These services range from the traditional tax planning/projections to more niche specific such as inventory costing (GAAP and tax basis) to setting up industry-specific accounting systems. We also frequently address accounting questions from clients. Our firm is casual often with office dogs prancing about greeting clients. Hours are flexible and pay is above average.
The main objective of the bookkeeper position will be to support our growing business clients understand QuickBooks and Xero by setting up or cleaning up their accounting systems. The key performance objectives for this position are described below:
Establish a proficient resource for clients:
• Provide timely answers or recommendations to clients to address or improve their accounting processes
• Develop standardized procedures for our industry-specific clients
• Coordinate add-ins to improve efficiency of accounting systems such as bill.com and expensify
Improve tax return presentations:
• Communicate to clients the necessary clean up entries required to prepare their books for tax return preparation
• Standardization of exit conference presentation with client to review tax project deliverable
• Prepare 1099’s and other year end filings as necessary
Develop a strategic plan to insure consistent, long term profitable growth
• Identify ways to provide services to client more efficiently such as clients who would benefit from more frequent check ins to review accounting results for our CFO services or revamping their chart of accounts.
• Manage and develop the client relationships
This position also offers the opportunity to prepare individual tax returns if the candidate is interested. Prior experience with tax return preparation would be a bonus!
Please email us your cover letter and resume with “Bookkeeper” in the subject line.